ALERT! Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) Dr. Diana Monea
Some people are at greater risk
• people who already have retinal disease
• people who already have kidney or liver disease
• people over 60 years old
Tests to be done before beginning Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)
• Visual field test: loss of central vision
• OCT imaging: 3 dimensional view of the retina to see any damage in internal layers of the retina
• Multifocal ERG: This test looks at cells in the retina called rods and cones. The test measures how well these cells respond to light. It can find retinal damage from Plaquenil.
• Photos: show damaged areas
Contact Eye Health Centre for more information.