Choosing an Eye Doctor - Optometrist or Ophthalmologist?

If you have vision problems and are looking for eye care specialists online, the results might leave you confused. There are many kinds of professionals who specialize in eye care such as optometrists, opticians, and ophthalmologists, and you might be wondering who you should go to. Our optometrists can check your eyes and identify the problems effectively. At Eye Health Centres, we offer eye exams and eyewear such as eyeglasses, sunglasses, lenses and contact lenses.

Optometrists vs Ophthalmologists – Key Differences

An optometrist is a healthcare professional with the knowledge and expertise to examine your eyes, diagnose problems, and treat them effectively. They are your best choice for yearly eye checkups. After completion of four years of education in optometry school, optometrists acquire a degree in OD (Doctor of Optometry). Their license permits them to practice optometry and they can perform eye examinations, prescribe corrective lenses, identify abnormalities in eyes and advise medication for eye conditions such as dry eyes and glaucoma. Optometrists aren’t surgical specialists and aren’t equipped to treat serious eye conditions.

Some services optometrists provide are:

·       Regular eye check-ups

·       Diagnosis of eye diseases

·       Spectacles and contact lens prescriptions

·       Surgical procedures for eye diseases

·       Eye care after surgery



An ophthalmologist is an eye doctor, specializing in eye surgeries. Ophthalmologists and optometrists essentially offer the same services. Ophthalmologists have to go through 12 or more years of extensive training to perform eye surgeries such as cataract, strabismus and glaucoma. While optometrists perform limited surgeries, ophthalmologists are equipped to perform all eye surgical procedures.

Services ophthalmologists provide are:

·       Diagnosis of internal and external eye conditions

·       Surgery for eye conditions

·       Basic optometric services

·       Post-surgery care services

If you’re experiencing issues with your vision, eye pain or any kind of irritability in your eyes, you should visit an optometrist to have your eyes checked; after conducting a few eye exams if they ascertain any serious conditions, they will recommend you to see an ophthalmologist.

Visit Eye Heath Centres at Calgary for eye exams and eyewear today!